JPL Professional Development
Training and Development
JPL strives to continuously offer courses for all of its staff -- from engineers and scientists to office professionals and managers. These courses are tailored to meet the needs of all of us who contribute to the uniqueness of the Laboratory. We know that only through continuous training and development can you stay on the cutting edge of your field; therefore, we do our best to provide you with the education that will help do just that. It is our responsibility to actively promote a culture that encourages and enables our employees to reach their full potential. That's why we're so proud of our Professional Development courses. The following list is just a small sample of courses we offer all our employees.
- Ground Data Systems System Engineering
- Fundamentals of Launch and Orbital Mechanics
- Verification and Validation Systems Engineering
- Electric Propulsion Systems Engineering
- Risk Management for Software Projects
- Mechanical Hardware Assembly
- Deep Space Network, Service Capability Development
- Spacecraft Environmental Interactions
- Problem/Failure Reporting
- Cleanroom Fundamentals
- Environmental Chamber Safety
- Negotiation Skills
- Presentation Skills
Interested in going for that MS or PhD? We don't want to stop you. School doesn't have to end just because you're working now. The Tuition Reimbursement Plan provides employees with the opportunity to obtain, maintain, or improve career-related capabilities through accredited colleges and universities. This perk is available to full-time, regular benefit-based employees with at least six months of service. The maximum reimbursement for all courses of study is $10,000 per calendar year for classes completed with a final grade of "C" or higher.
This program matches new JPL employees with experienced JPLers to ease the transition period and foster career growth. The Mentor provides the Protege with a confidential and safe environment to discuss any issues, policies, procedures, problems, or questions.
Life On Lab
JPL is managed by Caltech, so its no surprise that the JPL campus feels like a rich academic environment. What is surprising is how its campus feel integrates so well into JPL's professional responsibilities. JPL has no dress code, which means you can come to work as comfortable as you'd like. You can find world-renowned scientists having lively conversations by a wooden bench while group meetings happen under the sun. Crowds gather every week at the auditorium to absorb interesting lecture topics. Employees meet up at a neighboring park after work and play soccer. JPL is a stimulating and fun place to work: a place that tailors to your way of life.
Aside from the 12 annual institutional holidays, we have the opportunity to take every other Friday off--granting our 3-day weekend wish. Yes, it's that easy. You work 9 hours a day instead of 8, but you get a long weekend in exchange. However, you can keep regular 8-hour days if you prefer.
We promote healthy mind and body by offering programs that allow you to take control of your health and fitness. As an employee you can take advantage of our Weight Watchers program, Caltech's gym and JPL's fitness center and classes, which include the following before-work, lunch-time, and after-work courses:
- Tai chi
- Dynamic Strength Training
Employee-sponsored recreation activities provide employees with an opportunity to get together to enjoy a variety of pleasures the outdoors has to offer. Below is a sampling of the recreational activities/organizations we have here for you to join:
- Softball, tennis, basketball, soccer, golf
- Bike trips and marathons
- Running or jogging events
- Hiking activities
- Camping outings
- Competitive pay and bonus award programs
- Library with over 40,000 books and about 1,000 current subscriptions to scientific journals
- Easy access to ATM machines on Lab and the Caltech Employees Federal Credit Union
- 3 Dining cafeterias
- Discounts on merchandise and tickets at the JPL/Caltech store
- Alternate transportation: Carpool/Vanpool privileges as well as bus, train and bicycle accommodations
- Emergency services, job-related health services, employee counseling and referrals, support groups