We know it's hard to move to a completely new location, but we want you--so we'll help get you here.
JPL Relocation Package - Brief Overview
- Reimbursement for travel and moving expense!
- House-hunting trip
- Moving expenses
- One-time storage of goods
- Travel arrangements and expenses for you, spouse and dependents
- Mileage reimbursement
- Shipment of car
- Miscellaneous expense allowance
- Temporary hotel accommodations and meals on arrival to Pasadena to report to work!
- $2000 Miscellaneous expense allowance
- Craigslist - http://losangeles.craigslist.com
- Westside Rentals - http://www.westsiderentals.com
- Apartments.com - http://www.apartments.com
- Rent.com - http://www.rent.com
- Apartment Guide - http://www.apartmentguide.com
- For Rent - http://www.forrent.com
- Student Rent - http://www.studentrent.com
Where To Live?
JPL straddles the cities of Pasadena and La Cañada-Flintridge, so you can't beat a quick drive or short bike ride to work if you live down the street. High-end shopping and top-tier restaurants make Pasadena a great place to work and play. Although Pasadena is a great option in considering travel time to and from work, there are many interesting and distinct flavors in neighboring cities:
- small-town charm with big-city amenities. Do not confuse with Pasadena
- bustling suburbs south of JPL. Fantastic sushi bars and reasonable rent rates
- upscale communities east of the Lab. Arcadia has a race track and an arboretum!
- immediately to the north; mostly residential and quiet
- most of JPL's buildings reside in La Cañada flanked by million-dollar homes. Thanks to free shuttles, many JPLers shop or eat in this foothill community nextdoor during lunch.
- a little farther west and you'll find these gems; hip and trendy without Downtown's grit
- for hipsters, artists, and creative types; lots of dive bars and restaurants
Always do your research when moving to a new place. Read the local papers, check the blogs; google municipal codes (learn about noise restrictions, the Parking regulations, etc.). Just poke around and gather as much information as you can before handing over a month's paycheck as a deposit. Happy hunting!